The Quater Centenary - Four Hundred Years of Hardye's School.
Please note: This website is moving - please read this.
Below is a transcription of the Quater Centenary booklet prepared by the School in 1969
and kindly submitted by Andrew Wardle.
Following that are facsimiles of the Dorset Evening Echo Supplement of 1969, which you can jump to by clicking here.
Another account of the school history can be found by clicking here.
This brief history of Hardye's School has been compiled by members of the History Sixth and owes most to the work of T. D. Cummins and G. P. Collier. They in turn owe much to Prof. F. R. Southerington (Old Hardyean 1949-57) whose notes for a future and detailed History have been freely used; also to the Headmaster, who urged them to undertake the work, and to the Senior History Master who scrutinised it and made certain suggestions and corrections.
The Grammar School of Dorchester
A short history of the school to commemorate the Quater Centenary
1569 - 1969
During the 400 years in which Hardye's School has existed, many interesting events and people have, of course, been associated with it. Unfortunately at several points during these many years few, if any, records have been kept. At other times they have been lost or destroyed, and for this reason, any history of the school is, of necessity, rather disconnected. An example of this lack of records is the fact that the name of the first headmaster is unknown.
There is an old belief that the school did in fact exist before 1569 as part of a Franciscan Friary in Dorchester, which was dissolved during the Reformation of Henry VIII in 1538. Such a school as Hardye's may well have been founded locally during King Edward VI's reign for teaching grammar, as decreed by his father, Henry VIII. Teachers would probably have come from the nearby Friary. However, although a school in some form probably did exist, it cannot be definitely stated whether it had any link with Hardye's or not.
Building of the Free or Grammar School began in 1567 on a site in South Street adjacent to the almshouses known as Napper's Mite, and it appears to have been opened as a school two years later. There is good record of the progress of this building, as the Town Records show details of all the materials purchased and used. Many of the items mentioned are relatively meaningless to us - for example, Luke Adyn and William Chirchell were to make "a pynyon with iijchymes, and a poynen table". For these items, whatever they may be, and also for a side wall with twelve lights and a stone door, they were to receive £8. For each perch (5½ yards) of "the fore walle to the Stritte" that these men built, they were paid the extortionate sum of 1s. 4d. - and that at what were considered the highly inflated prices of those days!
Freestone for the building came from Poxwell and wall stones from Upwey. Some further entries in the accounts are:-
To John Royes - 3s. per light that he made.
'' '' '' - 2d. per foot of the lodgement and setting for the windows.
It appears that Royes made about 800 feet of lodgements and settings. The above items are only a few of the many entered, but are, perhaps, the most interesting.
Only one piece of craftmanship from this period has survived the ravages of time. That is the Elizabethan Coat of Arms, which is now only just recognisable. It is now built into the Main School corridor above the door to the gymnasium.
Local traders must have paid for the original buildings, and, it appears, all other expenses until 1579, in which year the Foundation deed was drawn up, showing that local people feared their inability to support such an establishment.
The first Headmaster on record took up his post in 1580. He was Revd. Edward Doughty, M.A., who had graduated at Cambridge. His charge probably consisted of no more than 12 boys. Perhaps at this point it should be mentioned that the Headmaster also held the living of St. Peter's and/or Holy Trinity Church. Doughty held both. However, he remained at the school only until 1585 and then left for some higher appointment. The next record of him is as Chaplain to the Fleet at the sack of Cadiz by the English during the Spanish campaign of 1596, and later he became Chaplain to King James I.
It was during Doughty's headmastership that Thomas Hardye, from whom the school takes its name, began to take an extremely active part in the running and maintenance of the establishment. By an agreement of August 3rd, 1597 Hardye was given complete control, even to the extent of appointment of Governors and Staff. He gave various properties under his ownership in Dorset to the school in return for these rights. Hardye was an entirely self-made man since, although from a wealthy Channel Isles family, he was not the heir and made his fortune unaided.
A certain Henry Harris appears to have taken over from Doughty. He was a native of Dorset and an extremely remarkable young man. Having matriculated at Oxford in 1583, he assumed the post of Headmaster in 1585, at the age of 17! In 1588 he gained his B.A. and in 1590 became an M.A. However, for all his success, Harris unfortunately died in 1596 at the age of 28.
Harris had in fact been replaced in 1595 by the Revd. Robert Cheeke, M.A., another Oxford graduate. Cheeke is perhaps the greatest benefactor to the school. During the night of August 6th, 1613 fire destroyed a large part of Dorchester and, along with it, the school. At Headmaster Cheeke's expense the school buildings were immediately reconstructed. After a few years, during which the pupils probably had a holiday, the new school was completed. When he died in 1627, Cheeke was still owed £500 - a very large sum in those days. This residue was eventually repaid to his widow and, from information given in various entries in the Borough Records, she appears to have continued in her support of the school. It seems very doubtful, from the Governors' inability to repay this debt, whether they would ever have found sufficient money or backing to restart the school had it not been for the intervention of Cheeke. It is therefore probably due to him that Dorchester now has a school of 400 years' standing, and we are fortunate that he should have had sufficient resources to enable him to give such aid.
The oak screen now in the Main School library was also a relic of Mr. Cheeke. Originally he had placed it in the main schoolroom of the building which he then knew.
Above is a photo of the Oak Screen in the South Street schoolroom.
(This photo was not in the original booklet reproduced here; it has been added purely for this webpage.)
The period immediately following the rebuilding appears to have been a prosperous time for the school. Pupils came not only from Dorchester but also from homes dotted over the surrounding countryside. Much of the school's income at this time appears to have come from church collections. Typical entries in the Borough Records are such as these below:
1631, August 6
Given by severall persons at St. Peter's Church £25 3s. 0d.
Given more by severall persons at All Saints Church £3 8s. 3d.
1632, November 5
Given by severall persons at St. Peter's Church £12 14s. 2d.
Given more at the same church (November 5) £12 5s. 3d.
Upon Mr. Cheeke's death, an ex-pupil of his, by the name of John Brancker, appears to have assumed the role of headmaster. He was an Oxford graduate and held his post only from 1627 to 1628. The Headmaster's salary at this time was £20 a year.
It is at this point that strong evidence of Puritanism in the town, and particularly in the school, began to appear. Brancker sailed in 1628 to New England, where he became the schoolmaster at Windsor, Massachusetts and later one of the first freemen of Dorchester, Massachusetts. Archbishop Laud's insistence on toeing the official High Church line was clearly not popular in this part of Dorset.
It is perhaps convenient to jump fifteen years at this point and advance to the Civil War. It seems strange that such a place as Dorchester should have been anti-Royalist. Indeed it was so biased a town that Edward Hyde, later to be the great Earl of Clarendon and Chancellor to Charles II, once said that no town more disaffected towards the king could be found in the whole Realm. This can surely be explained by the influence of the school. If Dorchester Grammar School was, as is shown by the evidence, very strongly Puritan, the pupils would have become indoctrinated in times when the Headmaster's influence was all-powerful. The question to be asked is, how early did Puritan headmasters start to be appointed? Cheeke appears to be the first. He was a sponsor of the New England expeditions, and it is likely that boys at the school under such a strong character would have become biased towards Puritanism by his example. If all boys attending the school since Cheeke's appointment in 1595 had been subject to this indoctrination, all the Old Boys below the age of 55 are likely to have had strongly Puritanical ideas. It must be remembered, too, that the sons of only the more well-to-do inhabitants would have attended the school, and since they would have been the influential characters of the day, the anti-Royalism of Dorchester is quite understandable. More must be said of the Civil War later, but at this point we return to the year 1628.
After Brancker there is a gap until 1630. Whether the name has been lost or whether no suitable candidate applied until then is unknown. Perhaps the pupils had another extended holiday! However, in 1630 Gabriel Ball was elected Headmaster. He had matriculated in 1622 and had been appointed Deacon by the Bishop of Bristol in 1628. A copy of his Declaration, as it was then called, is still available and runs as follows:
1630. January 14th. "Gabriel Ball chosen for the Free Schoole, and he is to teach and hear the Hospitall Children two howers in the weeke: at two severall tymes towards night: and for his paynes to have xx nobles: to be paid into him quarterly by the Stweard of the Hospitall, whereof and wherinto George Gould will allow vli (£5) which is to be deducted out of George Gould's yerely stipende".
It was during Ball's administration that fees were first charged for pupils. This practice started in 1631 although it did not agree with the conditions set forth in the original charter. It was mainly due to the expense caused by the fire of 1613 and the inability of the Town to repay Robert Cheeke the debt for rebuilding.
Ball was succeeded in 1632 by the Revd. John White, an Oxford M.A. who was a Puritan Divine and later became a preacher to the famous Long Parliament which declared war on Charles I. He was made Rector of both St. Peter's and Holy Trinity. Perhaps the strongest Puritan so far to run the school, White had sponsored the Mayflower expedition in 1620 and also the Dorchester New England expeditions.
The school itself appears to have been kept in good repair during White's headmastership. Examples from entries in the Borough accounts are:
More laid out to Mrs. Cheeke for boarding the upper room over the old schoole and amending the glas windowes ... 12s. 0d.
More which Mr. Reeve laid out for fencing the schoole closes ... £2 4s. 2d.
More laid out by Mr. Reeve about the schoole walles ... £23 17s. 11d.
There is also an entry at this point referring to the "husher in the schoole", a Mr. Forward. Its most interesting part is on the subject of the income for performing this duty. Mr. Forward received 20 markes yearly "for his paines", in modern terms £13 6s. 8d., now approximately £200.
By 1635 Gabriel Reeve had replaced White. He was also a clergyman and an Oxford graduate who later took his M.A. Reeve was obviously an extremely poor headmaster. Soon after his appointment he took two years' leave and later, a further three years during the Civil War. As a pretext for his leave-taking Reeve complained about his salary. Many masters before him (and since!) had complained upon this score, so it may have been justified. However, when when he was dismissed by the Governors in 1650 Reeve refused to go until he was paid arrears in pay. It took a further 6 months finally to remove him, and this feat was accomplished in early 1651. The Governors had written to him in this vein: "It being commended to Mr. Reeve's consideration whether it were not better that he did relinquish this place having lost his esteem both in the Towne and country, than any longer to contraive schoolmaster to the prejudice of the Towne and Schoole".
Reeve's complaints about his salary did have some effect. Just before the outbreak of the Civil War in 1642, "all men of ability" were asked to contribute 20 shillings a year for every child that they sent to the school. And thus came into being the first Voluntary Fund, but, let it be said at once, with a very different object in view from its modern equivalent. For in this way the headmaster's salary was increased to £40 a year and the staff also increased in numbers at the same time. A scrivener was added to the master and usher. He was paid 2s. 6d. a quarter to teach "such scholars as are willing". O tempora, o mores!
It is interesting at this point to follow the history of several people associated with the school. At this time particularly, on the outbreak of civil war, strongly Puritanical beliefs in connection with the school come to light. A certain Denis Bond, who carried his Puritan principles far beyond the boundaries of Dorset, had been at the school in the late 16th century as a pupil and was later a friend of headmaster John White. Bond was so anti-Royalist that he was selected to be one of the Judges at the trial of Charles I, although his signature does not appear on the death warrant. He became one of the members of Cromwell's Council of State and died in 1658. As a result of his presence at King Charles' trial, his family was dispossessed after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660. His son attended the school from 1620 to 1625 and later, like Headmaster White, became a preacher to the Long Parliament. He was made Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University upon his father's death in 1658.
John Humphrey was an Old Boy of the school and went to Trinity College, Cambridge. After graduating he went to New England as a strong supporter of Puritanism. When civil war broke out in 1642 he returned to England to become a colonel in Cromwell's army. Humphrey also bore the Sword of State at Charles I's trial.
A committee of school associates was formed under the name of "The New England Plantation Parliament". It was dominated by John White and met in the school-room itself. It eventually paved the way for the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Thus the school, along with the churches of Dorchester, linked by successive headmasters, earned the reputation of being a "breeding place of Puritanism".
There is an interesting document drawn up in Reeve's time, though whether the conditions of it were ever fulfilled is unknown. It runs as follows:
"1646. Nov 27. Whereas in the town of Dorchester there is a convenient dwellinge provided for the schoolmaster and a small pencion but of twentie pounds per ann. for his mayntenance, in respect thereof the sayd schoole hath been a good space since without a schoolmaster there, and whereas Mr. Gabryell Reve, whoe hath heertofore been a schoolmaster there, uppon the intreatie and request of the inhabytants of Dorchester aforesayd, see that there may be an addicion of fortie pounds per ann. to the sayd schoole, hath ingaged himself to undertake the government of the sayd schoole againe; it is ordered that £20 per ann. be paid him out of each of the impropriate parsonages of Puddletrenthide and Fordington on condition that he teach gratis twelve scholars of Dorchester and twenty of the country".
After Reeve's eventual dismissal in 1651, the Revd. Samuel Cromleholm, M.A. was appointed. He was another Oxford graduate, and a friend of Samuel Pepys. It was in fact with great difficulty that a successor to Reeve had been procured. Several men had accepted and then inexplicably withdrawn. It was eventually discovered that they had been dissuaded from taking up their appointment by the Headmaster of Sherborne School. At last the Governors overcame this difficulty and managed to stop this Sherborne headmaster from setting up a rival school. Cromleholm never settled down, however, and left in 1657 to take up an appointment as head of St. Paul's School, London - and one can scarcely blame him for that! He had increased the reputation of the school considerably by gaining many entries to Oxford and Cambridge. During his time, too, the salary was increased by adding the profits of the town brewery to the master's stipend. Whether the Headmaster ran the brewery, or whether the brewery ran the Headmaster is not clear.
Mention must surely be made of Denzil Holles whose ornate tomb may be seen at the west end of St. Peter's Church. He was M.P. for Dorchester and one of the most distinguished of the school's Governors. At first a friend of King Charles I, he figured in most of the subsequent quarrels with the king. In 1642, after the famous but abortive attempt by Charles to arrest the Five Members (of whom he was one), he raised a regiment of rebel soldiers in Dorset and Somerset. At times during his stormy career he was imprisoned by both Charles and Cromwell. But at the Restoration, in which he eagerly assisted, he was made a Baron and became a member of Charles II's Privy Council.
Another school, named Trinity School, began to take an active part in the school's welfare. It had been set up in 1623 with the object of preparing boys for entry to Hardye's. It increased its standards rapidly and thus the pupils at Hardye's were of a much higher standard.
John Stevens took over from Cromleholm in 1657 and the high standard achieved by the latter started to fall away. Fortunately Stevens left in 1664 and a much more capable man, the Revd. Henry Dolling, M.A. (Oxford) was appointed. He was a very learned man who had translated "The Whole Duty of Man" into Latin. Samuel Wesley's first book of poems was satirically dedicated to him. The standard and reputation of the school rapidly increased once more and by now pupils were being drawn from well beyond the county's boundaries.
Dolling left the school in 1677, and no records of any substance remain that refer to the next 150 years of the school's history. The reasons for this are obscure but a possible explanation is mentioned later. Obviously no major events occurred in the school during this time, and presumably the standard and reputation remained much the same. Amongst the few names of headmasters recorded is that of Revd. Francis Hinchman, M.A. He was Headmaster in 1786 and 1787 and then resigned when he was offered the living of Marlborough.
Once more there is a large, uneventful gap in which the names of only two Headmasters come to light. One was the Revd. Henry John Richmond, a friend of William Barnes and a learned Winchester scholar; the other was the Revd. Richard Cutler who was appointed soon after Richmond in 1824 and was later translated to Sherborne School after doing good work in restoring the old school buildings which he had found in a very delapidated state. In 1846 the Revd, Thomas Maskew, M.A. became Headmaster. He was one of the very few headmasters to graduate from Cambridge. At this juncture a lawyer decided that fees could be charged only for the teaching of subjects other than Latin or Greek, and, by the original Charter, no other subjects were allowed to be taught. This decision set back the school's progress for thirty years.
Now approached years of crisis for Hardye's School. In addition to Thomas Hardye's endowment there were from time to time other bequests to the school such as those of Sir Robert Napper, Josiah Flea and in 1883 of John Oldfield. But in spite of these the funds became inadequate towards the middle of the 19th century, and the school buildings fell into a ruinous state. At first the Governors did not realise how serious the position was, and by the time they saw their dilemma they could find no solution. In addition to this, a contemporary chronicler reported that Maskew was "without influence on public confidence in the Town". Finally, in 1879, the Governors were forced to close down the school. A government report of 1871 had said that the buildings were decrepit and that there was a decreasing number of day boys and no boarders at all at the school.
There is a story that during the 1840s the Clerk to the Governors stole all the school's funds and burnt the school records and its Charter so as to cover his tracks. Certainly this would explain the lack of records and the loss of the Charter as well as the sudden collapse of the school. Therefore this story (or something very similar) seems quite possible, even probable.
A scheme was now evolved by which several charities were to be amalgamated to give funds for the rebuilding, and the idea received Royal Assent. By it the foundations of Hardye's School, Hill's Exhibition, Trinity School, the Hospital, and the charities of Mary Strangeways, Lora Pitts and Hussey Floyer were combined.
On January 18th, 1883, the new building was opened. The cost of rebuilding the school was £4,500, and accomodation was offered for 100 day boys and 30 boarders. For the first time there was limitation on entry and would-be pupils had to pass examinations in reading, writing from dictation, and arithmetic. Twelve scholarships were maintained in the hands of the Governors. The new school soon ran out of space for all the pupils wishing to gain entrance, and in 1896 the Governors agreed to build a Science and Technical Block.
Oppostion to Hardye's had now come into being in the form of a school run by William Barnes, the poet. His popularity amongst many was largely due to his advanced ideas and teaching methods. The Governors were urged to make him Headmaster of Hardye's, but anyone not in Holy Orders was at that time barred from the post owing to the condition in the Charter.
The name of the Headmaster at the time immediately following the rebuilding was the Revd. H. N. Kingdon, M.A. and in 1898, S. A. Rootham, M.A. took up the post. He had formerly been Headmaster of Bristol Cathedral School. Rootham remained until 1907. Upon his resignation 153 people applied for the position. It was given to H. A. Francis, M.A., who remained at the school until 1927 when it was decided that the school in South Street was too small for the number of pupils then attending.
And so it came about that on July 1st, 1927, Thomas Hardy, the amous poet and author, and himself a Governor of the school, laid the foundation stone of the present Hardye's School. The buildings lay in 15 acres of ground, and Hardy said at the time:
"Certainly everything promises well. The site can hardly be surpassed in England for health, with its open surroundings, elevated and bracing situation, and dry subsoil, while it is near enough to the sea to get very distinct whiffs of marine air. Moreover it is not so far from the centre of the Borough as to be beyond the walking powers of the smallest boy".
These "distinct whiffs" are indeed great since they often come in the form of a strong south-westerly wind which to this day prevents the school's main door from being used.
On this occasion a local columnist wrote: "That a Thomas Hardye, a benefactor of renown in Elizabeth's Days, should have founded the school, and that another Thomas Hardy, the greatest figure in English literature and poetry today, should nearly 400 years later have laid his hands on the stone which commemorates the building of a school greater than the founder could ever have thought of, is a combination of events to make a vivid appeal to the imagination".
Early in 1928, 160 boys moved from South Street to the new school. On May 24th, 1928, the Duke of Windsor, then Prince of Wales, visited Hardye's, but Thomas Hardy himself did not live to see this proud moment for the school, at which the Prince commented on the state of the building in the following way:
"It is most certainly very well equipped, an I am sure you will all work very hard - which is not to say that you did not work hard in the old school!"
In 1937 the Old Boys presented the school with the cricket pavilion which was designed by the School Architect, Mr. E. P. Lambert, A.R.I.B.A., who is himself a member of the Old Boys' Club.
Wollaston House came into use as a Junior School shortly before the Second World War when accomodation once again became insufficient, and although having its own gymnasium, canteen and three-and-a-half acres of ground, it is essentially part of the school as a whole.
The number of boarders has gradually increased, and there are now three boarding houses. South Walks has been in use since 1929, Southfield since 1942, and Heathcote since 1951.
There have been only three changes in headmaster since 1907 when Mr. Francis was appointed. His successor, Mr. R. W. Hill, M.A.(Oxon) was a Justice of the Peace and was awarded the C.B.E. in 1951. He was chairman of the Incorporated Association of Hadmasters in 1954/55 and also of the Headmasters' Conference, the last year of his momentous Headmastership. As a memorial to his many years of devoted service to the school, the Old Boys, parents and friends of the school have contributed to a swimming pool which is at this moment being constructed next to the Pavilion.
On Mr. Hill's retirement he was succeeded by Mr. A. N. Hamilton, M.A.(Oxon) who thus continued the almost traditional appointment of Oxford men to that post. In 1956 the Old Boys' Club presented the fine gateway to the Senior School as a memorial to the many Old Boys who gave their lives for their country in time of war. This was designed by Mr. Lambert and made by Mr. C. Old of West Stafford, so that every part of it should represent a contribution by Old Boys who gave their skill and professional services towards this memorial. The dragons' heads on the main pillars were carved by Mr. K. Batty, the Senior Art Master. Five years later new laboratories were opened. These also were designed by Mr. Lambert in the closest collaboration with the Science Staff whose many practical suggestions were incorporated in the plans and helped to make the building one of the best kind in the county.
Another integral part of the School is the Combined Cadet Force. Hardye's was one of the first schools to establish an O.T.C., at the beginning of the century, and in 1908 over 60 per cent of the boys belonged. During the Second World War the school contributed more than 120 commissioned officers to His Majesty's Forces. The Roll of Honour in the school corridor fills one with sorrow at the appalling loss, and pride in those who gave their lives for their country. Now, practically the whole of the fifth forms belong to the Cadet Force, with about 30 sixth-formers acting as N.C.Os. In 1941 an Air Training Section was inaugurated by Flt.-Lt S. A. Fox and finally in 1956 a Naval Section was started by Lieut.-Cdr R. Tompsett, R.N.V.R.
For many years the school had attached great importance to games and extra-curricular activities, and opportunities in this direction were considerably increased over the years. For games purposes and other intra-mural affairs the school is now divided into four Houses each of which commemorates the name of a distinguished Old Boy and benefactor of this century without whom the school would have been hard-pressed to grow to its present stature. These four gentlemen, as it happened, were all present at an Old Boys' dinner at the King's Arms , Dorchester in February, 1910. Mr. Alfred Pope, F.S.A., J.P. was chairman on this distinguished occasion, when the secretary and organiser was Mr. Wilfred Hodges, J.P. At the top table were two especially outstanding past chairmen of the then vaguely constituted Society, Dr. Walter Lock, D.D., Warden of Keble College, Oxford, and Sir Frederick Treves, Bart. who had successfully removed King Edward VII's appendix in days when that operation was by no means the simple thing it is now considered to be. The school games now include rugby football, hockey, cricket, athletics, cross-country running, fencing, badminton, golf, sailing and basket ball, to name just those in which inter-school fixtures are carried out. A proud moment came for the school in 1968 when Brian Keen became the first Old Boy to win an international cap; this was for England at rugby football.
It is interesting to note the great change in the number of masters teaching at the school, even in recent years. In 1927 there was a staff of only seven, including the headmaster. Now there are over 30. The number of boys has also changed greatly from 160 in 1927 to 550 in 1968. From a boy-master ratio of 23 to 1 in 1927 it is now approximately 18 to 1. In the VIth Form alone there are 125 boys, and during the past ten years over 30 boys have left the school annually to attend universities and colleges of technology.
What the future holds for Hardye's is as yet unknown, but whatever changes may be forthcoming it is hoped that the many school societies, both old and new, will not only continue but be encouraged to expand. At the time of going to print the Hardye Society, started in 1905, is the senior society by far. Others include the Dramatic Society, the Choral Society, a debating society known as the Wyvern Society, and Economic and Scientific Societies. There are also numerous clubs covering a variety of interests from chess to go-karts.
Perhaps an appropriate way to finish this short history of Hardye's School is to quote a part of the speech of one of its greatest headmasters, Mr. R. W. Hill. The following is an extract from his words at his last Speech Day as headmaster:
"It should be the aim of everyone connected with the school, right down to the smallest boy, both throughout his school life and as an Old Boy, by his interested membership of the club, to combine together to make as good a school as possible, preserving any distinctive features it may possess, and building upon those elements in its tradition which are sound and valuable, and adjusting its course as time moves on to the needs of the country and local community".
HEADMASTERS 1569 - 1969
1569 - 80 Unknown
1580 - 85 Doughty
1585 - 95 Harris
1595 - 1627 Cheeke ... Strong Puritan. Personally rebuilt the school after 1613 fire.
1627 - 28 Brancker ... Puritan fanatic.
1628 - 30 Unknown
1630 - 32 Ball ... Charged fees (illegally).
1632 - 35 White ... Strong Puritan Divine.
1635 - 51 Reeve ... Removed by the Governors.
1651 - 57 Cromleholm ... Went on to H.M. of St. Paul's. Friend of Pepys.
1657 - 64 Stevens
1664 - 77 Dolling
1677 - 1786 Unknown
1786 - 87 Hinchman ... Went on to H.M. of Marlborough.
1787 - 1846 Richmond c. 1820
Cutler 1824 - ? ... Went on to H.M. of Sherborne.
1846 - 79 Maskew ... Fees stopped by legal case.
1879 - 82 No Headmasters; school closed.
1882 - 98 Kingdon
1898 - 1907 Rootham
1907 - 27 Francis ... Building of the new school.
1927 - 55 Hill
1955 - Hamilton
The Dorset Evening Echo Supplement of 1969.
Original courtesy of David Knapman.